When The Beast and The Nobbler combine, only
stupid good things can happen.
A ridiculously fun orienteering challenge in Newport, Pembs. Run solos, pairs or threes.
Come and explore the trails at night.
This event will start at 5:30pm, registration from 4:30pm, on the 30th of December 2023.
£10.00 – £30.00
|Solo or Team
Solo, Pairs, Three
The Brussel Buster - Newport
Back for another year, this is a ridiculously fun night orienteering challenge, which you can run as a solo, or pairs or threes. Come and explore the trails at night. Pick up a pre marked waterproof map at race HQ, then you have 2hrs to get to as many checkpoints as possible.
The race will be run as a clock-in, clock-out, on a 1min staggered start intervals between 6:30pm and 8pm. Once you’re given the map at the start, you’ll have approx 1 minute of free time to start working out your best route. We will then use your timing chip(which you must keep with you safe at all time) to start the clock on your attempt! You tap it again when you’ve finished. Results will appear live on a TV screen at the finish area and online! There are no finisher medals in this event, just the satisfaction of doing it, and a strava route that looks like spaghetti! As always, all profit go to local charities.
It's super simple...
- At each checkpoint on the map, you’ll find a red and white orienteering kite and a small zip lock bag.
- Within each bag are pre-marked A6 pieces of waterproof paper with that particualar checkpoint code, and the value of points it’s worth.
- Checkpoints could be worth 10, 20, 30, 40, or 50 points. Upon return, we’ll count up the points. Most points wins.
- Collect as many as you can and get back to the start in under 2 hours.
- For each 5 minutes you are late, you will be fined 10 points e.g. If you come in at 2 hours 9 you will have two pages deducted from your total. More than 30 minutes late and you are DQ'd!
- Waterproof, complete body cover (coat and trousers) with taped seams and integrated attached hood
- Hat and gloves
- Emergency food
- Insulated spare layer
- Emergency bivvy bag
- Map and compass
- A good working headtorch, with spare batteries or spare torch
- A lightweight windproof top might be acceptable instead of full body waterproof (coat and trousers) dependent on weather on the day
- It is also recommended that you bring along a waterproof jiffy bag to hold your coklected numbers
- Be kind and respectful to all runners.
- Do not enter the exclusion zones or cross the uncrossable boundary/fence.
Entry is £10 each or £20 for pairs or £30 for teams of three.
If you have four runners who like to run together, please enter two pair teams.
Anyone with a fear of Brussel Sprouts need not worry, none will be present at the event.